Women’s Contact Society

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program

For people with a modest income and simple tax situation.

About Our Tax Program

For many years, the Women’s Contact Society has provided tax services through our volunteer-run program. This is a free program for people with uncomplicated tax forms that do not own a business.

Bring your tax information to our office during business hours and fill out the accompanying form, and we will get back to you when your taxes are completed and ready for pickup.

The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between community organizations and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Program Eligibility

In order to be eligible for the CVITP, individuals must have a modest income and a simple tax situation.

This may include:

  • adults 65 years and older
  • housing-insecure individuals
  • Indigenous Peoples
  • modest-income individuals
  • newcomers
  • persons with disabilities
  • students

Modest Income

The following table provides a guideline to determine what is considered a modest income. In general, a modest income means the total family income is less than the amount shown in the chart below, based on the size of the family.


Suggested Income Levels

 Family size  Total family income
 1 person  $35,000
 2 people  $45,000
 3 people  $47,500
 4 people  $50,000
 5 people  $52,500
 More than 5 people  $52,500, plus $2,500 for each additional person

Family size includes an individual, or a couple, and their dependants.

Simple tax situation

In general, a tax situation is simple if an individual has no income or if their income comes from these sources:

  • employment
  • pension
  • benefits, such as the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance
  • Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs)
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants
  • interest (under $1,000)

Who is not eligible?

The CVITP does not provide training or support for complex tax situations. Volunteers should not complete returns with the following:

  • self-employment income or employment expenses * (see Exception 1)
  • business income and expenses
  • rental income and expenses
  • interest income over $1,000
  • capital gains or losses
  • bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
  • deceased person
  • foreign property (T1135)
  • foreign income ** (see Exception 2)

DIY Tax Software

If you would prefer to do your taxes yourself, you may want to check out some free or pay-what-you-can options. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a list of certified tax software, some of which offer a pay-what-you-want model.